Saturday, August 14, 2010

He looks as though he's been weaned on a pickle

The English word 'pickle' derives from the Middle English pikel, first recorded around 1400 and meaning 'a spicy sauce or gravy served with meat or fowl'. This is different to, but obviously related to the Middle Dutch source, pekel, meaning a solution, such as spiced brine, for preserving and flavoring food.

Pickling is an excellent way of preserving the fruits of your labor . . . quite literally . . you can pickle just about any vegetable you can grow!  They are healthy, tasty and FAT FREE. 

And, making pickles is easy.

So, why wouldn't you want to pickle? Store bought pickles are expensive and typically nothing special.   If you make your own, the possibilities are endless. 

What you need to make a yummy batch of Kosher dills:

Ø      4 pounds Pickling Cucumbers
Ø      3 1/2 tablespoons kosher (coarse) salt
Ø      2 tablespoons chopped garlic
Ø      1 1/2 tablespoons mustard seeds
Ø      1 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
Ø      1 1/2 tablespoons dill seeds or fresh dill heads
Ø      bay leaves
Ø      3 cups water — bottled
Ø      3 cups white vinegar

Note: I add other ingredients - such as banana peppers and jalapeños - to spice things up!




Preparation:

Wash cucumbers thoroughly.

Combine kosher salt, mustard seeds, black peppercorns, chopped garlic, dill seeds, water & vinegar in a saucepan. Heat to boiling.

Pack cucumbers into clean jars.

Fill with vinegar-water solution to 1/4 inch of top. Seal.

Submerge jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove at once when 10 minutes are up.

Let the jars sit for 24 hours before removing the rings.

Allow the pickles to ferment for 4 to 6 weeks before enjoying the awesomeness that you just created!


PICKLE JONES


I love those crunchy pickles
That grow from the pickle bean
They are the greenest pickles
That I have ever seen

I like them with my pancakes
I like them with my lunch
A party isn't proper
Without pickles in the punch

I like them sweet and tangy
Or puckerfied with dill
I dream of Summer barbecues
With pickles on the grill

I wear those gherkin fashions
I love that kosher style
I ride my motorpickle
Through the garden with a smile

When my life is over
And I cash the wooden nickel
I won't give up the ghost

Until I have just one more...pickle




No comments:

Post a Comment