Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It upsets women to be, or not to be, stared at hungrily.






Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a fresh faced all American girl.  That I epitomize motherhood, domesticity and everything that is womanhood. That I’m modest, demure and submissive.  









Er . . .  wait a minute . . . who are we talking about again?  Me?  Oh . . .









Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a fresh faced all American girl.  That much is true . . . sometimes. But most times I am obnoxious, loud, rude and assertive.  I gotta be me.  







It’s true that I am a mother . . . have a teenage son and, for the most part, he’s a good kid.  It’s true that I aspire to be a domestic goddess . . . it’s obvious I enjoy cooking, crafting and whatnot.  It’s also clear that I’m a woman . . . there’s no debating that. 


  
Now this is a real mother . . . her name is lost to history but she was the first wife of Feodor Vassilyev.  For all intents and purposes I will call supermom. Supermom has the distinct and astounding honor of having the highest recorded of children born to one mother . . . a whopping 69 offspring.  I sh!t you not!  Between 1725 and 1765 supermom gave birth to 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets, and four sets of quadruplets. 67 of them survived infancy.   Yeah . . . uhm . . . I don’t think so . . .



Everyone knows who Martha Stewart is . . . the quintessential diva of domesticity.  But Brini Maxwell is the Drag Queen of Domesticity.  Brini has had her own television show for over 10 years . . .  she specializes classic decorating styles, kitschy design and vintage household tips.  She is fabulous and she is a he.  





Being woman means being feminine yes?  Uhm . . . I dunno.  Brini is pretty darn feminine; certainly more feminine than me.  And she is not . . . well . . . she is not a she!  So, what is femininity anyway?  Lightness, softness, delicateness  . . yeah, well . . . I don’t think anyone would define me in any of those terms.  But I am a woman and I can prove it . . . for a small fee. 

Anyhoo . . . enough about me

_____________

Cheesy scalloped potatoes


4 Cups Thinly Sliced Potatoes, About 6 To 8 Medium Potatoes
3 Tablespoons Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
8 Tablespoons Frozen Butter
4 Cups Milk
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese



In a buttered 9x13 baking dish, place a layer of about 1/4 of the potatoes.
Sprinkle with flour, salt, pepper, and dot with butter.

Note:  I use Wondra flour for this because it comes in a shake can.  I don’t actually measure; I just sprinkle a thin coating so that all the potatoes have a little flour on them. 

I don’t measure the salt and pepper either, I just grind the pepper over the potatoes . . . I like a lot! And then sprinkle with salt or seasoned salt.

I use frozen butter because it breaks into little pieces when you cut it and it’s easier to spread around.

Repeat the layers adding the cup of cheese in the 3rd layer.



Pour milk over potatoes until it is about ¼ inch from the top of the baking dish.  Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until boiling. 

Uncover and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until scalloped potatoes are tender and cheese has melted. Scalloped potatoes serves 6 to 8.







No comments:

Post a Comment