Thursday, December 22, 2011

The manner of giving is worth more than the gift

I love Christmas.  The thing I love best is giving presents.  I try to put a lot of thought and effort into the gifts I buy for my friends and family.  I love the anticipation leading up to Christmas . . . hubby and son pondering what could possibly be wrapped in plethora of different shaped packages covered in pretty paper.  The best part is watching them opening their gifts . . . hopefully, followed by an expression of joy at what they discover inside.


Admittedly, I've not always gotten the right thing for someone.  It happens . . . as hard as I might try, I'm not perfect.  But for the most part, I think I do okay.


I like receiving presents as much as anyone else.  It's fun!  But still, the worst part about Christmas,  for me,  is opening presents in front of everyone.    

My family makes a big production about the whole package opening thing.  I'd prefer to take my gifts and scurry off on my own to unwrap them.  But, that's not happening . . . it would be rude and inconsiderate. 


 I hate it because  I feel very self-conscious . . . I don't like to be the center of attention . . . and what if I don't like the present??  Holy crow!  Don't laugh, it's happened . . . once I got a gift so horrible that I ran off to the bathroom and cried for a half an hour.   I didn't come out until someone came to get me.  Imagine how the person who gave me that gift felt.  Oy . . . I shudder to think of it.  It serves him right for getting me a crappy gift in the first place, right?  Heh.


I'm better now . . . I do it and I put on a happy face.  I wait until I'm alone to cry. Hehe.












The manner of giving is worth more than the gift.  ~Pierre Corneille

No comments:

Post a Comment