Wednesday, December 7, 2011

To boldly go where no one has gone before.


Thanks to the wonders of streaming video, my hubby and I are working our way through all seven season of Star Trek Next Generation and onward to the various offshoots of the Star Trekking universe.

Back in the 80’s I was what is commonly referred to as a Trekkie.  Yeps, I rabidly watched Star Trek episodes.  I attended Trekkie conventions . . . but I wasn’t so Trek-i-fied that I dressed up in a goofy uniform or as an alien or anything like that.  I collected Trek memorabilia, games and whatnot.  I even had my very own tribble, until my cat destroyed it. But most prized is my Will Riker action figure.  God, that man was HOT!

I even had a little Star Trek sound effects box; it looked a bit like a radar detector in form.  I had it mounted on the dashboard my awesomely cool looking but dreadfully underpowered 1988 bright regatta blue Ford Mustang.  I used it as a way to manage my road rage . . . how cool that I could shoot phasers and photon torpedoes at offensive drivers!

Being that I drove a bright blue sportscar . . . regardless of how fast it wouldn’t go . . . I was a target for state troopers looking to fill his monthly quota of traffic violators.  The car may not have been zippy, but it could indeedy exceed the speed limit and I got snagged. 

The trooper approached . . . “license, registration, insurance and what is that on your dashboard”.  Although legal now, way back then it was illegal to use a radar detector. 

I had to explain and demonstrate to the zealous law enforcer that it was not a radar detector but that is was, in fact, a toy.

Astonishingly, the trooper was actually amused.  He allowed me to continue my mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

I'm a geek.  So what?  My trek-i-ness actually got me out of a speeding ticket that day





Cher’s Chicken Corn Soup

1 Whole Chicken
3 Quarts Water
1 Whole Onions, Halved
2 Celery Stalks
1 Cup Chopped Celery
2 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
1 1/4 Teaspoons Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 1/2 Cups Corn
1 Lb. Egg Noodles

In a large pot over medium heat, combine chicken, water, onions, celery stalks, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 2 hours, adding water as needed, until chicken is very tender. Remove the chicken, onions and celery from the soup.   Discard the onion and celery.  Set chicken aside to cool.

Bring soup to a boil and turn off heat.  Add corn, chopped celery and egg noodles.

Chop cooled chicken meat and add to soup.  Serve immediately.  Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment