Friday, May 4, 2012

Firewater Friday - Ooh that smell . . . can't you smell that smell?


I’m not a big pot smoker . . . however, I’ll admit that I’ve puffed a few bones in my lifetime and  . . . unlike certain politicians . . . I freely confess that I did, indeed, inhale. 

I also admit that I like the way weed smells and once you smell burning marijuana you never forget what it’s like.

I was hanging out in the kitchen of a friend’s home who also just so happens to have a teenage son.  We’re chatting it up, cooking dinner and drinking wine.  All of sudden I start detecting the distinctive aroma of doobage.

So, I asked her about it.  She said she doesn’t notice.  So I start sniffing around to see where the smell is coming from. 

I swear up and down that I smell the ganja and she assures me that neither she nor her child smoke pot. 

Sniff, sniff . . . after smelling everything in sight I finally discover the odor is being emitted from a pile of grapefruit sitting in a bowl on the counter. 

Hmmm . . . that’s odd.  I found the smell and it wasn't weed!!!!  Is it just my shnozz?  Or does weed and grapefruit share the same scent?

I’ve noticed the smell since  . . . .whenever I’m in the produce section of my grocery store and in my fridge when I have Ruby Reds in there.  I know I’m not crazy . . . okay maybe just a little, but not about this.  So, I decided to poke around and see if I’m the only one who smells this smell as it relates to grapefruit.

It turns out that there are several strains of marijuana that do, in fact, smell like grapefruit . . . Grapefruit Sweet Deep Grapefruit, Grapefruit Kanji . . . among others. 

They are often grown for medicinal use.  I am by no means an expert but this is what I read . . . these strains are fairly similar. They are supposed be fairly strong and long lasting and good for treating pain and insomnia.  Some have the flavor of grapefruit, some don’t. 

By the way . . . I am all for medicinal marijuana.  I think it is far less dangerous and addictive than many legalized drugs.  As long as it doesn’t affect anyone else then people should be able to do what they need to do to manage their chronic pain and other disorders.





Ruby Red Mojito

This is a fantastic mojito.  It's quite refreshing and flavorful.   Not too sweet, not too tart, and not too minty. YUM! 

Mint Simple Syrup (recipe below)
Mint Sprigs for Garnish
1 Ruby-Red Grapefruit
3/4 Cup White Rum
3 Cups Ice
1 Cup Seltzer

Using a vegetable peeler, remove zest from grapefruit in long, wide strips. Place in a large glass, and add rum. Cover, and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a large glass measure, and discard zest.

Cut grapefruit into quarters.  Fill glass with ice and squeeze juice from grapefruit quarter. Stir 3 tablespoons infused rum, 2 tablespoons mint syrup, and 1/4 cup seltzer in a glass measure, and pour over ice. Garnish with mint sprigs.





Mint Simple Syrup

1 Cup Water
1 Cup Sugar
10 Fresh Mint Leaves

Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat just until it bubbles. Turn down to low for 2 minutes, and then remove from heat and let sit for 15-20 minutes.

Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.



Ooh that smell . . . can't you smell that smell?
Lynyrd Skynyrd

1 comment: