Saturday, May 5, 2012

Girl with Gun . . . A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders

Every once in a while an opportunity presents itself that is undeniable . . . its like fate makes you an offer you can't refuse.  Who am I to turn a blind eye to fortuity?


So, when a chance came up to purchase a Beretta Jetfire in .25 ACP for a better than fair price I went for it. Why?  Because, I'm a fan of Beretta firearms.  Did I need the gun?  No.  Did I want the gun?  Well, I didn't know I did but apparently so.  And, damn it's a cute little thing!



The Beretta 950 Jetfire is a semi-automatic pistol that has been in production since 1952.  The best I've been able to determine, based on the serial number, this particular gun was manufactured pre-1988.  And, based on the fact that it was made in the United States, would mean that it was made after 1970.  I'll have to do some more digging to find the actually age of the gun.





The Beretta 950 Series of pistols was Beretta's foray into the ultra compact, small caliber pocket pistol.  It was designed to be reliable and simple to operate.


As you can see it is, indeed, a tiny gun.  It looks pretty small in my hubby's hand but fits pretty nicely in mine.  The overall length of the gun is 5" with a 2 1/2" barrel. It is 3 1/2" high and 1" wide and weighs in at just under 10 ounces unloaded.



As advertised, the Jetfire is very easy to use.  It is has a single action trigger (the hammer must be cocked before each shot)  and a tip-up barrel.  The 950 is a blowback pistol  . . . which is to say the expanding gases of the propellant force back the bolt, thus loading a cartridge from the magazine into the chamber for the next shot.  


It is light weight because the frame is made of an aluminium alloy.  The slide and barrel are carbon steel


The .25 ACP cartridge is not considered a particularly powerful round and the short barrel limits the accuracy of the projectile; however, I challenge any one to volunteer to take a hit from the Jetfire.   







I found that aiming at a target 25' away, the gun was extremely accurate and the bullet impacted with a satisfactory amount of force to the steel plate I was shooting at.  

I would feel confident carrying the Jetfire as primary defense weapon if concealment requires a small gun or as a back-up tucked away.  


For a woman it would go well in a bra or thigh holster and it fits quite nicely into a hand bag.


Overall, a nice little firearm and I'm quite pleased with my purchase.


Carry on!






A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders
Larry Elder 

No comments:

Post a Comment