Monday, May 7, 2012

Love thy neighbor as you love yourself . . . you tell **them** that!

Condo living isn't necessarily my cup of tea . . . unneighborly, whacked-out neighbors being a contributing factor.  When I moved here 13 years ago I was newly divorced with a three year old child.  The situation was ideal . . . at the time . . . the price was right, convenient to everything location and a private courtyard.  Things change over time . . . like the ideality of the living situation (but the price is still right) 


. . . but the neighbors haven't;  they haven't been neighborly the whole 13 years I've lived here.


One of these people is an elderly woman who is 150 years old . . . maybe 200 . . . and crotchety as all get out.


Having a fenced in area for my little kid to play in was fantastic . . . there was was he could go running into the street or wandering off.  My boy and I would often roll or toss his big rubber ball back and forth.  Of course, he didn't catch it every time . . . or even every third or fourth time . . . but he enjoyed it. 


When he missed the ball sometimes it would roll into the old crank's patch of grass.  Each unit has their own bit of grass but the whole courtyard is technically common area.  If this old biddy thought no one was looking she'd come out an yell at my boy and tell him to get off her lawn.  


Besides being mean to small children . . . this woman has WAY too much time on her hands.





I have seen this tiny, frail, ancient person sweeping the sidewalk . . . dirt, leaves, snow, whatever.  Not just her walkway.  I'm talking all the sidewalks; inside the courtyard, outside the complex,  up and down the street.  I've seen her sweeping the parking lot . . . with her little kitchen broom.  But the best  . . . or strangest . . . thing I've seen her doing was wiping down the dumpsters with a paper towel.  Yeah . . . I said it . . . cleaning the disgustingly filthy garbage dumpsters with a paper towel.


Unneighborly and whacked-out.








Cheesy Rice

4 Cups Water
1 Tbsp Salt
2 Tbsp Butter
1 ½ Cups Medium Grain Rice
3 Slices American Cheese

Bring water, salt, and butter to a boil. Stir in rice, cover, and put stove on low.

Cook 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender, adding more water as needed.

Remove from heat, rip cheese into smaller pieces and stir it into the rice until it’s completely melted. 

Feel free to add more cheese as desired.  

No comments:

Post a Comment