Thursday, May 3, 2012

New Brew Thursday - Dogfish Head Double Tap

As I was browsing my favorite beer store I spotted a lonely bottle of Dogfish Head beer.  Not knowing a thing about this particular brew but liking the Dogfish Head beers I have had in the past it was a no brainer . . . I popped that little $10 a 12 ounce bottle into my basket and went on my merry way.


What I ended up with was World Wide Stout and was nothing short of WOW.




Here's the low-down . . . the label declares it to be a very dark beer brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley.  First brewed in 1999 it was, at the time, the world's strongest dark beer.  This Dogfish Head beer comes in at an astounding 18% ABV!


This is a seriously BIG beer . . . strong, rich and very intense.  Definitely NOT for the casual beer drinker.


WWS pours an inky blackness with a only a swirl of foam. Don't expect a lot of bubbles; the low carbonation creates a creamy, smooth mouth feel.  The heady aroma is a pleasant combination of chocolate, coffee and fruit.  The first sip was incredible;  dark malt, rich molasses, bitter chocolate and a nice boozy warmth.  Very interesting for a beer and not at all unpleasant.



Swirl it in the glass like a fine cognac . . . allowing it to warm only intensifies the already amazing flavors.


Don't be put off by the high price tag or the high alcohol content.  This is truly an excellent beer.








The second Dogfish Head beer was a surprise.  The first surprise was that it was on tap then second was a flavor that was entirely unexpected.  Again, I knew nothing about this beer other than that it bore the Dogfish Head name and thus was willing to give it a try.


I ordered the Black & Blue and when my beer arrived at the table the first thing I noticed was the color . . . a berry red color.  The first sip was was . . . well, it was a surprise.  Again with the berriness.  


At this point I whipped out my handy dandy tablet to find out exactly what it was I was drinking.  Ahh . . . now I get it . . . black and blue.  Black and blue berries.  


Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Real berries give this beer a very berry flavor.  This is a fruit beer but it's not overly sweet.  The sweetness is nicely balanced the hoppy bitterness.


This is a strong full flavored, full bodied ale.  Sip it and enjoy.  (10% ABV)




Visit Dogfish Head at their website  or on Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment