Monday, June 25, 2012

It boggles my mind

I love word games.  As long as I've been able to read and write I've enjoyed word search puzzles, crossword puzzles, Scrabble, Boggle and so on.


I still have my puzzle books lying around the house and a Scrabble board in the game closet.  Puzzle books are all well and good because I can pick them up whenever and I don't need to bug someone to play with me and Scrabble is only good if I have someone else to play with.  I like the challenge of playing with a competitor so I find myself more and more attracted to digital word games like Words with Friends (a Scrabble-like game) and Scramble with Friends (A Boggle-like game).    I find these games engaging because even though I am playing against another person I can still play at my leisure as time permits.  And the best part is that I can have multiple games going with multiple people all at once . . . often more than one game going with the same person at the same time, too!


That being said, my sister and I have a healthy rivalry when it comes to Scrabble and I like to play against her whenever I have the opportunity.  Nothing beats a one on one, face to face, get in  your face game.  You know with all the ribbing, jibing,  gloating and whatnot.


However, I've noticed an interesting trend while playing Words with Friends and Scramble with Friends . . . specifically with my sis.  She tends to be better at crossword type games . . . like Words with Friends.  And I seem to better at anagram type games . . . like Scramble with Friends.  


I seem to lose more Words with Friends games when I'm playing against my sister (I do win some) as opposed to winning most (if not all) Scramble with Friends when she is my opponent.


I find it to be an interesting trend.   They are, of course, totally different types of word games.  Words with Friends being more strategy and has not set time limit and therefore allows more thought to go into each move.  Whereas Scramble with Friends is more of a spontaneous, fly by the seat of your pants three round game with a set amount of time to complete each round.


I don't know if its that I see words in anagrams better than she does . . . perhaps I've had more practice playing anagram type games.  I don't know.  But it is interesting . . . and at least I'm better than her at something.  


Anyhoo . . . just my observation.






Black Bean and Corn Salad

1 Can, 14 Ounces, Black Beans, Rinsed and Drained
2 Cups Fresh or Canned Corn
1/2 Red Onion, Chopped
1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
1 Handful Cilantro, Chopped
2 Teaspoons Hot Sauce (Or More to Taste)
1 Lime, Juiced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt And Pepper

This is a great recipe to use for left over corn on the cob.


Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand at least 15 minutes for flavors to mingle, then toss and serve. 


Print Recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment