Friday, August 10, 2012

How my garden grows . . . it makes me itch!

The garden is in Phase 2 full production mode.  Phase 1 being cucumbers, zucchini and peppers.  Phase 2 is beans, tomatoes and peppers (still).

This is is what I got before I even stepped foot inside the garden . . . I got all this stuff from outside of the fence.

This is what I ended up with once inside the fence . . . I nearly filled a five-gallon bucket.  And, that bucket was heavy!


I've noticed something since I've started harvesting the beans.  Itch . . . all over itch.  I get so itchy that I literally want to dig my nails into my skin to make it stop.  I good long soapy shower fixes makes it all better but . . . what the duck??

OMG!  I'm all itchified just thinking about it!

A little research tells me that a lot of garden plants have little barbs or spines on the leaves . . . tomatoes, squash, beans . . . the break off and embed themselves in your skin 

if you come in contact with them.  This, of course, irritates your skin.  Contact dermatitis . . . that's all it is.  

Yes, I could prevent the itch by wearing long sleeves, gloves and whatnot.  But that's not likely to happen.  First off, I pretty much roll out of bed at 0'dark:30 and head over to the garden to do what needs to be done before I have to get ready to work.  Which means I'm usually wearing a tank top, short sweats and flipflops . . . lots of exposed skin.  Secondly, it's summer time . . . it's hot, humid and sticky . . . even at 5:00 in the morning.  I'll deal with the itch if it's as curable as a shower when I get home . . . heck, I've got to do that any way. 

I know they are just trying to defend themselves but do you know what?  Those stupid plants can assault my skin all they want.  I'm still taking their beans!  Their yummy, yummy beans.




No comments:

Post a Comment