Thursday, September 13, 2012

New Brew Thursday - Beer, bacon and bourbon

Plan B, a local restaurant that specializes in burgers, beer and bourbon, is celebrating their one year anniversary.  And they're going hog wild!  Literally!  They are  celebrating with bacon . . . it's Bacon Week!  On special this week is “The Divine Swine” aka “Drop Dead Burger,”  (100% ground bacon burger topped w/ thick sliced bacon, bacon aioli, bourbon bacon red onion jam, and a fried egg all sandwiched in between a grilled cheese) to Bacon Candy Bars, Bacon Cotton Candy, and Bacon infused Bourbon cocktails . . . and more.

I like bacon . . . who doesn't?  So, a visit to Plan B to celebrate their anniversary was a must.  I didn't try everything . . . that would be completely gluttonous and I might have fallen into a bacon induced coma.  I did, however, sample a few baconny items.  AND a few of their ever rotating taps . . . alas, no bacon beer.



I started out with a finger of Woodford Reserve bacon infused bourbon.  The bourbon itself is nice, smooth and warming.  The infusion definitely added a subtle baconness that wasn't the least bit detracting.  It was a little smoky with a nice hint of bacon.  All in all . . . quite good.


I ordered the Divine Swine burger for my meal with a side of green fries (flash fried green beans).  Was this burger over the top?  Completely!  But I guess that's kind of the point.  Every bite of this burger screams BACON!  If you love bacon, as I do, this is something you'll want to try once in your life.  It was good but would I order it again?  Mmm . . . probably not . . . I think I gained five pounds just thinking about it!  

The beer at Plan B is always good . . . they are constantly rotating their taps so there's always something new to try.  This week's list was impressive and it was tough to choose what I wanted to try.  I sampled thee different beers and I wasn't disappointed with any of them.


I started out with a Raging Bitch from Flying Dog.  Basically, because I can pretty much relate to the name.  Well, that and because it's an IPA.  Raging Bitch is a strong Belgian style IPA (8.3% ABV). Amber in color with a loose, bubbly head that laces the glass with every sip.  This is a very tasty beer with an expected amount of hoppy citrus, a surprising hint of caramel and a nice crisp finish.  Despite the alcohol level I didn't taste any booziness . . . just a delicious beer that I would definitely go for again!


With that crazy bacon burger, I had a Coney Island Mermaid Pilser from Shmaltz Brewing Company.  Wow!  Very nice!  This pilser is a light (5% ABV) and exceptionally drinkable beer.  It tasted of malty caramel, fruit, a hint of hops and . . . rye.  None of these elements overpowered another . . . it is a nice balanced beer that goes down easy and simply tastes great.  Go for it!

At our server's suggestion we ordered a bottle of  Stoudt's Fat Dog Imperial Oatmeal Stout.  He said it was of the best stouts he has ever drank . . . who can argue with a recommendation like that?  The beer was as 


black and dark as beer gets.  There were clear coffee, chocolate and malt flavors . . . as I expect from an imperial stout.  This is a big beer . . . it is strong (9% ABV) and dark  . . . but it is also fairly smooth tasting and very flavorful.  You can taste the alcohol but it doesn't take away from the overall taste or experience of the beer.  I would say this is a great beer for anyone who appreciates a good, strong stout.  

No comments:

Post a Comment