Wednesday, September 26, 2012

When is a door not a door?

When i was a kid my mom had no-nonsense utilitarian mom-mobiles.  They got us where we had to go with no bells, whistles or other fancy shmanciness.

No her fiancé, on the other hand  . . . well, he had the coolest car EVER.  It talked!  Just like Kitt in Nightrider . .. which, I might add, was the coolest show ever  (at least I thought so when I was a kid . . . I know better now)!

Unlike Kitt who tended to be a little snobby and excitable, the car’s voice was all business but he told the funniest jokes; except after a while they started to get old.



When you opened the door he’d say, “A door is a jar.”  How silly is that? 

The car was a Chrysler E-class, which was only manufactured for two years in 1983 and 1984.  It was discontinued due to poor sales.  Maybe it wasn’t that great of a car . . . what did I know?  I was just a dumb, easily impressed kid.  But Ricardo Montalbán made it sound awfully sexy.

Now, if Ricardo was the voice of any car . . . ROWR!

I mean, think about I, I thought David Hasselhoff was hot . . . what was I thinking??



No comments:

Post a Comment